Every client is different. Eliza applies a practical approach and identifies early exactly what the client wants from the existing or proposed litigation. She work closely with clients to determine their objectives and to develop a litigation strategy.
Eliza practises in the areas of public and commercial law. Prior to coming to the Bar, Eliza practised as a solicitor for 17 years including senior roles as a Principal Solicitor at VGSO (2010-2017) and Senior Associate at King & Wood Mallesons (2004-2010). She was Associate to Justice Peter RA Gray AM of the Federal Court of Australia (2001-2002).
Eliza’s experience as an advocate includes planning and environmental law, land acquisition, building and construction litigation and arbitration, leasing disputes, commercial tenancies, civil appeals and insolvency. Eliza practices in judicial review, FOI, migration law, civil appeals and public law. Eliza represents clients in civil enforcement and disciplinary proceedings. Eliza also has considerable experience in Royal Commissions and Boards of Inquiry.
Recent significant cases:
Land Acquisition, Planning and Environment Law
- Urban renewal – Advisory Committee – Fishermans Bend (2018, Led by J Forsyth SC, Instructed by City of Melbourne) Advisory Committee into proposed Planning Scheme Amendment GC81 to Melbourne and Port Phillip Planning Schemes including 45 hearing days and 253 submitters Fishermans Bend Planning Review Panel (AC)  PPV 71
- Planning – Convenience retail – Appearing for permit applicant before VCAT regarding proposed service station ‘On The Run’ in Horsham (2018, unled) OTR 129 Pty Ltd & OTR 130 Pty Ltd v Horsham Rural City Council  VCAT 1778
- Planning – Convenience retail – Appearing for permit applicant before VCAT regarding proposed service station ‘On The Run’ in Mildura (2018, unled) OTR 168 Pty Ltd & OTR 169 Pty Ltd v Mildura Rural City Council  VCAT 27
Royal Commissions and Boards of Inquiry
- Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety (2019 – 2020) Appointed Counsel to Assist the Royal Commission instructed by the Australian Government Solicitor and the Official Secretary to the Commission established by Letters Patent on 6 December 2018. Led by P Gray QC and T McEvoy QC (until March 2019) with E Hill, B Hutchins and P Bolster. From April 2019, with P Rozen SC, R Knowles and Z Maud.
- Board of Inquiry (2017) Solicitor Assisting the Building Practitioners Board on secondment for 6 months for VGSO while a Principal Solicitor
- IBAC (2016) Solicitor acting for the State of Victoria before Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission in Operation Ord regarding corruption in the education (IT) sector
- IBAC (2015) Lead Solicitor acting for the State of Victoria before Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission in Operation Fitzroy regarding corruption in the public transport (bus) sector
- Inquiry (2014) Solicitor instructing senior and junior counsel before the Inquiry into the Hazelwood Coal Mine Fire on behalf of the State of Victoria while a Principal Solicitor at VGSO
- Royal Commission (2009) Acting for the Municipal Association of Victoria and 77 Local Councils in the 2009 Bushfires Royal Commission while a Senior Associate at King & Wood Mallesons
Liability limited by a Scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation